Friday, January 11, 2008

The "M" word...

Yes...I did say the "M" word...Masters. I swore I would never go back to school, but here I am 7 years later eating those words. I had my acceptance interview today into the Counseling program, which went well by the way :o). Right now I am only taking one class per trimester and this first one is an online class, Research Methods.
Other than that I have started purging the clutter from my house. After Christmas it seems we have been bombarded by toys and trash and junk in general. So, today I started with the kitchen and the countertops have never looked so bare...I love it :o). I have decided just to take one room at a time as to not get overwhelmed because believe me we have accumulated a lot of junk plus the tight living quarters makes it seem like there is so much more.
And now if only I could keep my kids well...Kaylyn with her perpetual runny nose and cough, Grant with yet another ear infection...ugh! So, hopefully we can get him started on allergy shots next week and start to see a difference in the next month or so. On the up side, his tube is still positioned well and I guess is doing its job. And he is doing so well with his implant. His speech therapist said she is very pleased and that his quick progress is amazing. They are talking about sending him to Kindergarten in the fall...but I am not sure yet. Don't they start reading and math and spelling in Kindergarten now...I just don't know. How can he learn to spell when he is just starting to learn how to say words correctly... I keep asking myself, are the any pros to sending him on, are there any cons to waiting one more year? But if we don't send him to K where will he go...he can't stay in Head Start since it is based on age and 3 and 4 yr olds go to head start and 5 yr olds go to kindergarten....Where is the parents choice in all of this? Why do they think my child is going to be ready for Kindergarten in the fall. I just don't want to regret sending him on before he was ready, you know. How horrible it would be to have to hold him back...would it be more horrible for me or for him? I just want what is best for my child. I don't what to have to see him struggle. Will waiting another year give him that edge? Or at least help to catch up on speech and language skills.
I guess that lends itself to a prayer request, please pray for God's guidance and clarity for us over this matter.
So, I haven't downloaded any pictures lately but Kenny has been wanting me to post these of the boys playing Rock Band...
So there you go... the 3rd on is my fav :o). Grant will imitate anything, good or bad...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!! I'm proud of you for going back to school! As far as Grant going on to K I cold probably write you a book on that, but I'm sure they've got a limit on how long my comment can be :-)

Heather said...

Oooo! I love to say that "M" word now. Especially since it is followed by the "f" word...FINISHED! Do it, you'll love it. I really liked my online classes.

As for K, I think that if the school has good services he'll be fine. We have a great Speech Path. this year and I think that makes a big difference. I see changes in our kids this year that I haven't seen in a while because of the one we had before. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your masters! Good for you. How long will it take you? I"ve been thinking about it too. I swore I'd never go back either, but I'm seriously contemplating it.

When is Grant's bday? Evan is right on the line (he turns 5 like 4 days before the cut-off) and D and I have been weighing the pros and cons as well. Should we or shouldn't we? I htink we're going to send him and if for some reason we need to hold him back and repeat K, then we will, but i Htink he'll be fine. If Grant is progressing well, he'd probably be ready too. Does he know all his letters and stuff?